About Me

My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
"Facts DO NOT cease to exist because they are ignored." I'm a truth-seekin', free-speakin', beat freakin' son of a gun. I'm a Georgian from Germany. I'm a kid in adult's clothing. I'm a philosopher in clown shoes. Do I know me? Well, I know me today, but who will I be tomorrow? Follow along and we'll find out together...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Truth, Justice, and the American Way

This is the story of Metropolis, Illinois and its run-in with yours truly and the Lois to my Clark Kent, Timmy J. No, not in a gay way, but more like an only-he-knows-my-true-identity kinda way.
Metropolis, Illinois, known for being the home of Superman, was the first stop in the trek across the country.  Located just across the Ohio River from Paducah, Kentucky, Metropolis boasts not only a frighteningly serious collection of creepy Lex Luthor memorabilia, but a more legitimate historical site (sorry Superman lovers), Fort Massac.  The fortress has history dating back to 1540's Spanish settlers, was a waypoint for Lewis & Clark, and was recommissioned as garrison for American troops by General George Washington in the years following the French and Indian War.

But that's not why we went there either.

Metropolis became for us a perfect springboard into the rest of the world.  Leaving Atlanta, Georgia for the great unknown out West sounds wonderful, but the reality is that going from the pampered comforts of indoor living to rough and rugged camping in places like Zion National Park and the Mojave Preserve is quite a lifestyle shift.  Metropolis served as a buffer zone of sorts, a place where we could get lost in the woods for a few hours, orrr grab a few snacks at the Big John grocery store (you just can't miss it...)


In my head, Metropolis has become a symbol, kind of "Into the Wild" meets "Last of the Mohicans" meets any movie starring Christopher Reeves.  (He did other stuff besides Superman, right?)

We hung out with the souls of fallen privates, admiring a centuries-old (replica?) barracks.  We stormed our way from the banks of the mighty Ohio River, dodging invisible shots from sentries long-since passed away.  We had a moment of peace high above the world, kicking back in the third-story watchtower guarding the rear entry of the fort.  

Ha, rear entry.  


But anyway, to make a day-long story short, Metropolis was uniquely ideal for our initial pit stop.  We were out in the woods, open to the elements, but I coulda thrown a rock and hit the cheap, typical Mexican spot across the street from the park.  Outdoorsy?  Tourist-trappy?  Superman-y?  What is this place they call Metropolis?  All I know is that for a sunny day and for a chilly night, it was Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment